Tuesday 26 March 2013

Trip to Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls

Zimbabwe welcomes me.

The impoverished African country was visited. Travelling there with your South African Rand made you feel like a millionaire, five times over, but the locals of Zimbabwe are like one in a million- friendly, helpful and very humble.
Victoria Falls Airport in Zimbabwe.

My choice of residence for the weekend away to Zimbabwe was a quaint Bed and Breakfast on the Zambezi Gorge.

The Bed and Breakfast I stayed at on the edge of  the Zambezi Gorge.

Despite the bumpy ride to the place of leisure, on an untarred road, it was no surprise to see donkeys pulling a cart along the roadside or tiny villages of locals.

Donkeys pulling a cart. Back to the root of transportation.

The nightlife was an experience of note. Try out the Boma- it is Zimbabwe's restaurant with a difference. Upon arrival at the Boma, you get dressed in their local garments.
Me, dressed in the traditional garment at the Boma.


From Crocodile to Wild Hog. To the normal food most of us are accustomed to.That is on offer at the Boma. Needless to say, I could not get myself to be that adventurous to devour the carnivorous delicacies. But I sampled the rest of the buffet available very easily including the meat that I am familiar with..
The customary washing of your hands before eating had to be done.
Washing my hands before my meal at the Boma.

A day trip had to be done to Victoria Falls to admire one of the seven wonders of the World in all its glory. Rain jackets must be worn because the closer to the Victoria Falls you get, the more water you are exposed to. So it is a protective measure for you. But it is majestic.

Wearing the much needed rain jacket with the Victoria Falls in the background.
The majestic Victoria Falls in the background.
An arranged travel couch took me to the heart of Zimbabwe and I had the opportunity to visit  The Livingstone Museum- which holds an archive dedicated to the rich history of Zimbabwe.

The Livingstone Museum.


Driving through the town of Zimbabwe made you realise just how poverty stricken the town is. Slightly over the border and I was on the Zambian side of the African country.
The Zambian side of  the Zambezi River.

To end it all off, a ferry trip on the Zambezi River needs to be done. Fortunately for me, I explored Zambia more in depth in a visit to the country a second time, but that adventure I will elaborate on, in another blog.
Cruise on a ferry on the Zambezi River.
Lesson learned in Zimbabwe: Do not take life for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment