Thursday 28 February 2013

My trip to Bahrain to watch the F1 Grand Prix

My trip to Bahrain to watch the F1 Grand Prix

People definitely come into your life for a reason. Prior to 2007, I was not a F1 Grand Prix fan. I could not see the value in watching racing cars doing laps and laps around a circuit. But, I am a person who is open to trying anything at least once, especially if it involves travelling.

So in 2008, I purchased a VIP package to be at the F1 Grand Prix race in Bahrain.
Sitting at the first turn at the Bahrain Grand Prix circuit.

What a fantastic experience it was for me to be seated at the first turn of the Grand Prix Circuit at the races each day. The next best choice was to purchase a package that included being seated in an air conditioned
marquee as temperatures easily reached 40 degrees and more. Most households had air conditioners in them.
In the 35 degree heat at the Grand Prix circuit in Bahrain.



Let the main race begin!

In terms of exposure to a different culture, it was definitely an eye opener for me. Considering that Bahrain is a wealthy country, with the Saudi Bridge connecting it to Saudi Arabia, it was surprising that one would need to purchase bottle water to quench your thirst as the tap water was not necessarily a healthier option. What a mind set change that was, as being Capetonian, it is as simple as us opening up our tap and drinking healthy water.

Then there was the exposure of woman being the mother, housewife and carer to the children, while the husband worked for the family.

The nightlife was if I was in Cape Town, with people enjoying the social scene, with one exception......Police presence is evident. Clubs needed to be closed by 2am. If you thought that traffic was bad in your city, then think again. I was exposed to drivers driving diagonally across a 6 lane highway just to get to the opposite side of the road and feeling no remorse about it, even if they may have just caused an accident.

Walking through the largest mosque in Bahrain was an inspiring experience. As showing respect for the culture, I dressed in the Salaah Thoub and scarf to observe the men engaging in their prayers.

So experiencing the F1 Grand Prix with ear plugs daily in my ears from the sound of the roaring racing cars to being exposed to a culture where woman are the customary caregiver and the male is the bread winner was an interesting experience.

So how did this trip to Bahrain to watch the Grand Prix change me? Well, it was a cultural experience that changed my perspective on how each culture engages with the next person and that I can actually enjoy a sport that I never knew I would even consider watching on my television, let alone live at a Grand Prix Circuit.


No comments:

Post a Comment